Monday, June 16, 2014

Day 23

The other day, I found this little guy on campus. He, or she, was just sitting, baking in the sunlight. I stopped to observe the creature for a few minutes. He didn't seem to care that I was looking at him, even as I moved closer, he remained still. I was scared that he might be hurt, so I contacted a friend that has a lot of animal knowledge.

I decided that, if nothing else, I should help the little guy move to a shaded area to avoid over-heating. So I scooted him with my shoe to a near by shady area. He then began squawking back to a nearby bird that I could hear. I soon left to go get water for him, and maybe some help. I thought he might have had a broken wing seeing as every time he attempted to fly, he failed. 

I later heard back from my friend that he was just a fledgling. A bird fully ready to fly, it just needed to get out there and do it. When I returned to give it water, the small bird had disappeared. I guess he either learned to fly, or natural selection took place...

No comments:

Post a Comment