Sunday, June 8, 2014

Day 16

Red-winged Blackbird (male)

This little bird kept coming over near where I was sitting on a log and chiming to me, so I decided to do some research to figure out what type of bird he is.

This little guy is a Red-winged Blackbird, apparently very prevailent in North America. These birds love to be near the water, as I found this guy at Mendon Ponds, a park in northern New York. The males have this noticeable red and yellow streak across their wing, like the bird pictured above, while the females are more subdued, often brown. 

* If you are interested in knowing more, feel free to visit the sight below! That is where I found most of my information (some of it was based on my own observations, as well)!

* http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/red-winged_blackbird/id?utm_source=Cornell+Lab+eNews&utm_campaign=fb7e4c32a2-Cornell_Lab_eNews_2013_3_07&utm_medium=email


No comments:

Post a Comment